Apple Hand Pies are the answer to the question: What can I make when I want pie, but a whole apple pie is too much? They’re perfect as a dessert for two and if you happen to have leftovers and eat one for breakfast the next day, who am I to judge?
Using just two apples, the filling for these handpies is thick and rich and will remind you of your grandmothers apple pie. Feel free to use your favorite apples for this, but a tart granny smith mixed with a honey crisp apple is my favorite go-to apple combo. You get a little bit of tart and a little bit of sweet in each bite!
Classic Apple Hand Pies
- April 28, 2020
- 6 Servings
- Print this
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, divided
- 1 large green apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large red apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Step 2
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Step 3
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat
- Step 4
- let butter brown to a light golden color and until butter smells toasted, about 1 minute.
- Step 5
- Stir apples into hot butter
- Step 6
- sprinkle with salt, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Step 7
- Cook and stir apple mixture until apples are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Step 8
- Mix in cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Step 9
- Continue cooking until apples are soft and sticky, 1 minute.
- Step 10
- Remove from heat and let apple filling cool.
- Step 11
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one defrosted puff pastry sheet.
- Step 12
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the sheet evenly into 6 squares.
- Step 13
- Place approx. 2 Tablespoons of apple mixture onto one side of each square.
- Step 14
- Take one corner of the square and pull it over the filling to the opposite corner of the pastry square. Slightly stretching the top layer may be necessary if your cuts are uneven, but don’t worry, puff pastry is very sturdy and forgiving.
- Step 15
- Crimp the edges of the pastry with a fork to seal. This will form beautiful triangle hand pies!
- Step 16
- Transfer your hand pies to prepared baking sheet.
- Step 17
- Whisk egg with milk in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Step 18
- Brush top of each hand pie with egg mixture.
- Step 19
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the tops are desired golden brown color.
- Step 20
- Remove pies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet.
Leftover hand pies can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 5 days. If they last that long.
Note: You can prepare and bake the hand pies in advance, storing baked pies in the freezer up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave or a 300°F oven for 15 minutes.