I love my friends! They send me recipes (along with their modifications) and I try them (adding further modifications) and the cycle of deliciousness goes round and round. It’s a beautiful thing.
Case in point. This delicious Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. I have never made bread with cream cheese before. I have a recipe for a Zucchini Cream Cheese Bundt Cake that I adore, but I never considered it for bread. If you’re sitting there saying “Duh! I’ve been adding cream cheese to my bread for years!” Well then, I blame you for not telling me about this sooner. You should start sending me recipes too. We can bond over bread.
The cream cheese makes this bread incredibly moist. The texture is melt-in-your-mouth creamy without a hint of dryness. My mind is already spinning with other bread recipes I can create with cream cheese! Seriously! Who knew!?!
If you want a healthier version of this recipe use coconut oil in place of the butter and plain yogurt in place of the cream cheese. Why do that though, when you can have real cream cheese and real butter? It’s your banana bread, you can do what you like, we’ll still be friends! By the way, the coconut oil version is creamy-dreamy smooth and equally as yummy! I added chocolate chips (see “further modifications” above) because you know, chocolate goes with everything.
No matter which version you try, you’re going to have trouble keeping it around. It’s just that good! Now, start sending me your favorite cream cheese bread recipes so I can try them too!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the sides of an 8 x 4 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese and continue to beat on medium, about 2 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and beat an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and bananas and beat until combined.
- Stop the mixer and add the dry ingredients all at once.
- Turn mixer back on low, then increase the speed and beat on medium until well combined, about 2 more minutes.
- Gently stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.