Hi friends! A few days ago I shared with you some pictures of the Orange County Fair and the delicious California Fig and Spinach Grilled Cheese with Brie that I made for my demonstration on the Culinary Stage!
That sandwich still makes me smile! It’s so simple and delicious. Easy to put together too! If you haven’t tried it yet, please run out to the nearest store and get yourself some California figs so you can make it for lunch. Then after lunch, please make these Brown Butter Sticky Toffee Crisp Rice Fig Treats too. I’d say make the treats first, but I can’t guarantee which one you’d eat first and my Momma always taught me I had to eat good food first. Not that these Brown Butter Sticky Toffee Crisp Rice Fig Treats aren’t good. They are! But veggies first, THEN dessert. Ok? And if you do it the opposite, I promise not to tell.
Brown Butter Sticky Toffee Crispy Rice Treats
- July 24, 2018
- Print this
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped SunMaid California Golden Dried Figs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- Step 1
- Line a quarter sheet pan with foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Place a large skillet over low heat. Melt the butter and figs in the skillet, stirring occasionally, keeping butter in the middle of the skillet with the figs on the outer edges. The butter will separate into liquid and solids. At this point, swirl the pan or stir continually, submerging the figs into the butter—look for a slight foam to form that takes on a light brown color. The aroma will be a bit nutty, about 4 to 8 minutes.
- Step 3
- Immediately transfer the butter and figs to a food processor, swiping the skillet clean with a spatula. Process the butter and figs until a paste forms.
- Step 4
- Transfer the fig paste to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and salt, and cook for 2 minutes. The butter should separate a little from the fig paste and you’ll hear a sizzle. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the marshmallows until combined and melted. Stir in the cereal until coated.
- Step 5
- Transfer the sticky cereal to the prepared sheet pan, pressing into an even layer with the spatula. Cool for an hour.
Original Recipe Courtesy of: Annelies Zijderveld
I love these girls!
We had such a great time together! Grateful thanks to Pamela Wnuck and her entire staff for all their hard work in the Culinary Arts Department of the Orange County Fair! They do an amazing job! It continues to get better every year. Bless you for allowing me to be on stage again and share what I love with the world!
If you’re looking for the original recipe for the Sticky Toffee Crispy Rice Treats, you can find them HERE at the amazing ValleyFig.Com site!
I’ll be back at the OC Fair again on Friday, July 27th at 5 pm! Stop by and say hello and get a few more Fig-tastic Recipes! See you there!