Do you ever find inspiration in the grocery store? Sometimes I’ll be shopping and something will catch my eye. Some ingredient reaches out and practically begs me to take it home. Staring at me hopefully with its big, brown, mournful eyes like a lost puppy saying “Pick me! Oh please, pick me!” Ok, maybe that’s a bit dramatic, but you get my meaning! This week, while at Trader Joe’s, I spotted these Mini Sourdough Bread Boules!
The weather has been chilly here lately, so the idea of taking these sourdough boules and turning them into easy bread bowls for soup was almost instantaneous! “Pick me! Oh please, pick me!” So, they went into the shopping cart! Creating bowls for soup is a simple project. After you get them home and you’ve got your favorite soup bubbling away on the stove, take your boules and carefully slice off the tops. Don’t take too much or your bowls will be too shallow. About ¼ to ⅓ of the way down is a good amount!
After you’ve cut the tops off, gently scoop out the insides, leaving a quarter inch edge all around!
Mine is a little uneven, but the important part is not to make it too thin anywhere. You don’t want soup spilling out the bottom! Make sure you save all the bread pulled from the centers too. That’s extra goodness for your next meatloaf or whatever you might need breadcrumbs. Now, we’re going to lightly toast the bread bowls under the broiler. It won’t take too long, but crisping them up will ensure they don’t turn to mush when you add the soup.
For an added treat, after the bowls are toasted, take the tops and spread on a little butter, garlic and Italian seasoning. Return the pan to the boiler until the tops are bubbly and golden brown! Instant garlic bread to go with your soup!
Once everything is warm and toasty, simply spoon the soup into the bread bowls, serve alongside the garlic bread tops and enjoy! This time we made clam chowder, but we also love Baked Potato Soup and Italian Sub Soup in these bread bowls t00!
Want to know a extra bonus to these fun bread bowls? You get to eat them when you’re done with the soup! I’m all for anything that means less dishes after dinner. What about you? Have ever had anything beg to follow you home from the grocery store? If so, I’d love to hear about it! Share with me in the comments below!
Enjoy my friends! Until next time!
Easy Bread Bowls with Garlic Bread Lids
- Mini Sourdough Bread Boules - enough for each person to have their own bread bowl.
- Set your oven to broil.
- Carefully cut the tops off desired number of bread bowls.
- Use your fingers to carefully pull out bread from inside the bowls, leaving a ¼" shell on the bottom and around the sides.
- Reserve scooped bread for another use.
- Place bread bowls on baking sheet and place under broiler.
- Broil on low until bowls are lightly toasted and crisp on the inside.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Generously butter cut side of the bread lids. Sprinkle minced garlic and Italian seasoning mix over the butter.
- Return lids to the broiler and toast until golden brown.
- Fill toasted bread bowls with your favorite soup.
- Serve with Garlic Bread Lids and enjoy!