April was National Grilled Cheese Month! I diligently did my part by eating several… ok… a LOT of grilled cheese sandwiches last month. Let’s file all that cheesy goodness under “Recipe development” shall we? Hands down, my favorite grilled cheese sandwich though was this scrumptious Fig, Pear and Gorgonzola Grilled Cheese Sandwich! Oh my stars! It might just be the perfect sandwich. I made it
five three different times. Just to be sure!
See how dedicated I am to making grilled cheese sandwich perfection? Then, I had to share with friends too. (A.K.A: an excuse to make this sandwich again.) You know, to test it. Thankfully, it was “friend approved!” Thank you Natalie and Angel!
Then, it was “kid approved” too. And by “kid” I mean the 22-year-old who still lives in my house. He’ll always be my kid, so it totally counts. He loved it too! I guess that means I’m on to something with this flavor combo!
It’s so simple too. It starts with a hearty 21 Grain Bread and inside is a slathering of Valley Fig’s Balsamic Pepper Spread, sliced red pears, spinach leaves and gorgonzola cheese. That’s it. Simple. Perfect. Delicious! In my numerous experiments, I found I liked this sandwich better when the slices of pear are cut a bit thick. It gives it a heartier bite.
You’ll notice the Gorgonzola doesn’t melt very smoothly, but the taste is still incredible! The tang from the cheese and the sweet spice from the Fig Spread just takes this over the top! Ok, enough typing. I need a sandwich!
Fig, Pear and Gorgonzola Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices Whole Grain Wheat Bread - I used Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grain Variety
- 1 Red Pear cored and sliced
- 4 oz crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
- Spinach leaves
- 4 TBLS Valley Fig Balsamic Pepper Spread
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Lay four slices of bread out on a cutting board or counter top.
- Spread Valley Fig Balsamic Pepper Spread over two of the slices.
- Top the spread with slices of Red Pear and crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese.
- Place Spinach leaves on top of the cheese and then place the remaining pieces of bread over the spinach.
- Spread butter over the tops of the bread.
- Place the sandwiches on the skillet buttered-side down and butter the remaining sides. Cook until the cheese is slightly melted and the bread is browned.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches and continue to cook until the cheese is thoroughly melted and the sandwich is golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
I hope you try this Fig, Pear and Gorgonzola Grilled Cheese Sandwich for yourself! It’s a grilled-cheese game changer!