I make no apologies of my love of the British Royal Family. Queen Elizabeth is always smiling and obviously loves her country very much! Duchess Catherine is stunning. Prince William has a good head on his shoulders and will make an excellent King one day. Plus, their kids are sooooo adorable! With the third Cambridge baby due to make his/her appearance in the very near future, I thought it would be fitting to make these Jam Pennies to celebrate the newest addition to the Royal family!
If you’ve never heard of Jam Pennies before, you are not alone. I had never heard of them either until just this week. Apparently they are one of Queen Elizabeths favorite foods. (Thank you MSN) Basically, they are small sandwiches cut into circles the size of an Old English Penny. After doing some research, I discovered those pennies measure 31 mm in diameter. For we Americans and our horrible measurement system, that translates to 1.22 inches.
My first reaction was: “A one-inch sandwich? Are you kidding? That’s so tiny!” Then again, the Queen is a tiny little thing too. (No offense Your Majesty! You are regally adorable.) So, if an itty-bitty sandwich is good enough for the Queen of England to have with her tea, it’s good enough for me!
Jam Pennies use only a few ingredients, so choosing the highest quality ingredients is very important. Great bread, european butter (with it’s delicious higher fat content) and the best jam in your cupboard will make these sandwiches extra special. I used strawberry and blueberry jam, but my mixed berry jam would be wonderful too! Traditionally Jam Pennies are cut in circles, but my grandkids had a great time using mini-cookie cutters to create their own unique sandwich shapes. It was hearts and squares for our afternoon Tea Party!
The perfect bite-size treat, these Jam Pennies would be lovely for Mother’s Day Brunch or a Spring bridal/baby shower or as previously mentioned, a Tea Party with your grandkids!
- April 12, 2018
- 6 sandwiches Servings
- 15 min
- Print this
- Two slices of bread
- 3 tablespoons blueberry or strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons European butter, unsalted
- Step 1
- Use a 1 inch mini cookie cutter and cut 6 circles from each piece of bread. You will have 12 circles total.
- Step 2
- Spread butter evenly across one side of each of the circles.
- Step 3
- Carefully mound 1/2 teaspoon of jam (your favorite flavor) on top of 6 of the buttered circles.
- Step 4
- Take an empty circle and press, butter side down, on top of one of the jam filled circles.
- Step 5
- Serve with tea and fancy napkins!
- Step 6
- Are you a fan of the Royal Family? Who is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!
- Step 7
- Until next time, my friends! Live life deliciously!
Are you a fan of the Royal Family? Who is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time, my friends! Live life deliciously!