Did you know you can make marshmallow treats from just about any kids cereal? It’s true!
You could even make them out of General Mills Limited Edition Lucky Charms Cereal with all Green Marshmallows, and then drizzle them with a bit of white chocolate. You know, just for fun.
After all, what better way to celebrate 50 Magical Years of Magically Delicious Cereal!
These really go together easily. Three simple ingredients and about 15 minutes of your time and you’re ready to share a fun snack with the hungry little leprechaun’s in your house!
You’ll need butter, marshmallows and of course, cereal! I drizzled mine with a bit of white chocolate at the end, but that’s optional. I just happened to have about a quarter of a bag of white chocolate chips in my pantry and I though “Hey, why not!” Also, if you want to garnish the top with green marshmallows, make sure you pull out about ¼ cup of the marshmallows before you get started!
First, melt the butter in a large saucepan. When the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and oozy and gooey (Don’t you love my technical terms?). Turn off the heat and pour the mixture over the cereal. It will be hot, so if you’re working with little ones, you might want to do this part yourself. When the cereal is completely coated, pour the mixture into a well-greased 13 x 9 pan. Did I mention the cereal is super sticky? Grease your spatula before using it to spoon our your cereal mix, it will make things much easier! You can get a flatter top on the bars by using a piece of wax paper, or well buttered fingers and gently pressing the cereal down into the pan too. Don’t push too hard, you don’t want the bars get too dense. Let them cool for a while, then cut them into desired shapes, and if you have that extra white chocolate lying around, melt it in the microwave and then drizzle it over your bars! Garnish with some of the reserved green marshmallows and you’re all set!
I hope you enjoy these treats as much as I did! They are a fun kid project for St. Patrick’s Day!
Lucky Charms Cereal Treats!
Lucky Charms Cereal Treats
- March 16, 2014
- Print this
- 3 TBLS unsalted butter or margarine
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows
- 6 cups Limited Edition Lucky Charms Cereal, with ¼ cup marshmallows reserved for garnish
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Step 1
- Put cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Step 2
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Step 3
- When butter is completely melted, add mini-marshmallows.
- Step 4
- Stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Step 5
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and stir until cereal is completely coated.
- Step 6
- Pour cereal into a well-greased 13 x 9 pan, pressing down gently to fill the pan.
- Step 7
- While cereal cools, place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Step 8
- Microwave chips for 30 seconds, stopping every 10 seconds and stirring well.
- Step 9
- Continue to microwave, stirring every 10 seconds until chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Step 10
- Cut cereal into bars or desired shapes.
- Step 11
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and garnish with extra marshmallows!
Recipe inspired by www.ricekrispies.com