Hi! My name is Sara. I never had the chance to meet you, but at a recent event at Melissa’s produce, we heard all about you from cookbook author and fellow food blogger, Siri Daly. She is the daughter of a friend of yours and she spoke very highly of you and your sticky ham sandwiches. They were so good, I went straight home to make them for myself.
Siri says you would have loved knowing how many people ask for this recipe. Obviously, it made an impact on her too as these sweet and savory sticky ham sandwiches are part of her new cookbook “Siriously Delicious 100 Nutritious (and Not So Nutritious) Simple Recipes for the Real Home Cook.” One bite and I was hooked. I can see exactly why she shared them in her book and on her blog. They are delightful! Now my family is proud to share in the community of Lucy Loving Sandwich Makers. (Pssst Siri, you may want to trademark that!) They will be part of this Imperfect Kitchen for a long time! Thank you for creating a legacy of love (and dinner) through your food!
All the best,
P.S. I’m sorry Alzheimers took you away from your family. It’s a terrible disease. My Mother-in-law had Alzheimers too. Maybe you’re sharing sandwiches together in heaven right now? I hope so!
This was my first introduction to Siri Daly and I came home telling everyone about it. Melissa’s produce had a media lunch with a book signing for “Siriously Delicious.” What struck me most was Siri’s humor and her attitude about real cooking for real home cooks! Nutritious and not so nutritious. It’s all about balance right? Nothing fussy or pretentious. I don’t think I found a single recipe in her book that my family wouldn’t eat. That’s saying something! In her new cookbook are things like the Lucy’s Sticky Ham Sandwiches above, but also this Italian Orecchiette Pasta Salad that is almost identical to the one I make. So, basically, I loved it right away and think Siri and I should be best friends, since we cook so much alike.
She completely won me over with these Cacio e Pepe Potato Chips though. Y’all, I don’t even know what Cacio e Pepe means, but it’s potato chips and it’s awesome and I won’t apologize for shamelessly having several handfuls. Ok, so when I said nothing fussy or pretentious, I didn’t mean the NAMES of the recipes.
This was my plate. The pretty version for pictures. The real version had more potato chips. Maybe another cookie and definitely more beet salad! I’m just being honest! In the center is Siri’s Tortilla Soup, the Pasta Salad is at the top and then moving around the plate clockwise are the chips I can’t pronounce, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Lucy’s Sticky Ham Sandwiches and a bright and beautiful Beet and Arugula salad (which is next on my list of things to make from this cookbook because it’s so good!)
Me, with Siri Daly. Thanks for being so fun!
Lucy's Sticky Ham Sandwiches
- June 15, 2018
- 12 Servings
- 1 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 (12-ounce) package shall sweet Hawaiian Rolls
- 1 pound sliced deli ham
- 1 pound Swiss cheese, sliced
- Step 1
- Bring the butter, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and poppy seeds to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Step 2
- Split the rolls. Layer the ham and cheese slices evenly on the bottom halves of the rolls, then cover with the top halves of the rolls. Place the rolls in a single layer in an 11- x 7-inch baking dish. They should all fit snugly in there. Pour the sauce over the buns, using a spatula to make sure they are all coated. Cover with aluminum foil and chill for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Step 3
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Bake the sandwiches, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until the sandwiches are hot and the cheese is melted, about 10 more minutes.
- Step 4
- Serve warm.
If you’re looking for a great, hilarious to read, simple to follow new cookbook with regular recipes, this one is for you. Buy it here:
Siriously Delicious by Siri Daly Food Blogger and TODAY SHOW Food Contributor