It’s cold, gray and overcast. My husband put up Christmas lights in the soft drizzle falling outside. We decorated our Christmas tree. Holiday music is playing quietly in the background. It’s the perfect time for a cup of hot chocolate in front of the fire! Warm milk, melted chocolate and a dash of espresso powder all came together for this sweet afternoon treat!
Joy The Baker’s recipe for Perfect Hot Chocolate makes just enough for two. I love how I can dig into the pantry and come out with leftover chocolates to melt together a mug of delicious goodness to share with my sweetheart. He worked hard this morning in the rain. He deserves it!
Earlier I made a batch of homemade Honey Marshmallows and they were a perfect addition to our Hot Chocolate! They melted in perfectly. Smooth, dreamy and delicious. It’s going to be a good holiday season. I can feel it!
Don’t be afraid to try these marshmallows either. They’re great as gifts! People will be impressed you made your own (Plus they taste MUCH better than the puffs of marshmallows they sell in the store)
Perfect Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups milk any fat content you fancy
- 3 heaping tablespoon bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 heaping tablespoons white chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, gently heat milk over low heat. Whisk often so the milk doesn’t burn.
- While the milk is heating, bring a medium saucepan with two inches of water to a boil. Place a heat-proof bowl with chocolate pieces over the simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the simmering water. You’re creating a double boiler. Cool, right? Stir the chocolate pieces until melted.
- Add the melted chocolate to the hot milk. Whisk together until completely blended and super delicious looking. Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or slightly sweetened whipped cream.
With the recent shootings in Connecticut, our hearts are broken that many families won’t be celebrating this holiday with lights, trees and cups of perfect hot chocolate. To them, we send our condolences, prayers and love at this very difficult time.