Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Or was it the Egg Salad Sandwich? Hmmm…?
I’m going with the Classic Egg Salad Sandwich! Why? Because I can. Do I really need another reason?
This recipe is why I buy an extra dozen or so eggs around Easter. I LOVE this salad and it’s the only time of year I make it. I’m not sure why. It’s not like I couldn’t make it in July or November, it just wouldn’t be the same. It’s tradition!
My “classic” Egg Salad Sandwich does have a twist. It has all the usual players: diced hard boiled eggs, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper and then… a squeeze of sriracha for surprise kick!
Mmmm! I can’t wait to dig in to this! I love my Egg Salad stuffed into a pita pocket with a little lettuce. You know, simple and easy! It’s also great on croissants or a hearty whole wheat bread! I’ll even take it straight out of the bowl with a fork. Just don’t tell anyone that, Ok?
Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- 2 hard-boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 Tablespoons mayonaise you can add more if you like it creamier
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of your favorite bread or two pita pockets
- In a medium bowl combine the first six ingredients (eggs through sriracha)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spread over two slices of bread (or fill two pita pockets with egg mixture)
- Add lettuce and top with remaining bread slices.
- Serve immediately!
Do you have a favorite egg dish or classic recipe you make only on certain holidays or special occasions? I’d love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below and tell me about your food traditions! If you’re looking for inspiration on how to use any of the extra eggs you might have purchased for Easter, look no further than this fantastic medley of recipes from the Sunday Supper family! You’re sure to find plenty of new favorites!
Appetizers & Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
Main Dishes (Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Brinner and Dinner!)
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Enjoy my friends! Happy Sunday!