These Avocado Egg Rolls remind me of appetizers served at a local burger and pizza place. Theirs are good, but I think these are better!
When I first thought of making these on my own, I was intimidated. To my mind, egg rolls were scary things! So much potential for messing them up. In truth, they’re not that hard to do and hey, if I did mess up, y’all know it’s an Imperfect Kitchen anyway. We’d figure it out together! Right?
Don’t be afraid to tuck and roll tightly! Sounds like I’m telling you how to do a fancy gymnastic movement or something. The egg rolls can take it. They’re stronger than they look! The following pictures are from a previous post on a more traditional Egg Roll. The rolling process is the same, just be sure you add the avocado!
Line a cookie sheet with several layers of paper towels and a place a cooling rack over the towels. Once the egg rolls are done frying, set them on the cooling rack to drain any excess oil prior to serving. If you’re doing a lot of egg rolls, after they’ve drained a little, move them to another cookie sheet and keep them warm in a 200 degree F oven until you’re ready to serve.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for the Big Game now! Serve these Avocado Egg Rolls with some Soy Sauce or Sweet and Sour Sauce to dip. You’re going to love the creamy texture of the avocados. They get buttery and smooth as they cook. They’ll just melt in your mouth when you bite into them!
Avocado Egg Rolls for #SundaySupper
- 2 TBLS Canola Oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 TBLS minced ginger
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 1 cup lean ground chicken
- 3 TBLS reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¾ cup julienned green cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 4 cups canola oil - for frying
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 avocados sliced into 24 pieces
- 1 egg mixed with 1 TBLS milk
- In a skillet over high heat, add canola oil.
- Saute onions until translucent. Add ginger, garlic and chicken.
- Cook until chicken is nicely browned, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with soy sauce. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots and cooled chicken mixture.
- In medium sauce pan, heat remaining oil to 350 degrees F.
- Oil needs to be deep enough to keep the egg roll from touching the bottom of the pan.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- To roll egg rolls, layout egg roll skin with corner facing you.
- Place approximately 1/12th of the mixture on roll and then place two slices of avocado on top.
- Fold corner over mixture, then fold outside corners in to mixture, making a roll approx 4 to 5-inches wide.
- Roll firmly, being careful not to tear wrapper.
- Seal the inside edge with egg wash.
- Dredge the egg roll in egg wash, allow excess to drain off.
- Using tongs, carefully submerge egg roll in oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain on a sheet tray lined with a cooling rack and several layers of paper towels.
Are you still looking for more great menu ideas for The Big Game? I’ve got you covered with a whole line-up of great dishes from my #SundaySupper family!
Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheese Board and Baguettes Make for the Start of a Great Game Day Feast by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cheesy Crabmeat Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Crock-Pot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Nacho Waffle Fries by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread and a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Sweet and Spicy Hummus by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Texas Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Cheeseburger Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Game Day Chili by Our Good Life
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
Desserts and Drinks
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Game Day Mocktails by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.