Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Do you know anyone who doesn’t love grilled cheese sandwiches? I don’t. Oooey, gooey, delicious cheese with toasted bread and any number of infinite fillings. It’s comfort food at it’s finest! Now add some pizza toppings between the bread and more cheese on the outside of the bread… Well, then it just becomes Pizza Grilled Cheese perfection on a plate.
In my last post I eluded to various changes in my world. The first and most exciting is the impending arrival of my second grand baby! That’s right, I’m
hardly, not at all, old enough to be a grandma – twice! I suppose this is what happens when you start having your own babies at an early age. Either way, at some point in the next 3 to 6 weeks, Baby J will make his way into the world to meet his Mommy and Daddy, his big sister and ME! I can’t wait!!!
Since my daughter will be delivering at the hospital just up the street from our house, I’ll be babysitting Mini Sous (a.k.a. Grand baby number 1) while her Mommy is in labor. My plan is to have plenty of easy meals ready and these Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are on the menu!
With a mix of Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan, the cheese part of these Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is covered! Not only does it have cheese in the middle, I used a mixture of shredded Mozzarella and shredded Parmesan on the outside of the sandwiches too. Can you say cheese overload?
I added pepperoni to the center of the sandwiches, but you can add any of your favorite pizza toppings or keep it vegetarian and layer in mushrooms, olives and bell peppers instead of the meat. Be creative! I don’t mind!
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella divided
- 1 cup plus 2 TBLS grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 TBLS chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning mix
- approx 12 slices pepperoni
- 3 TBLS butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce plus more for dipping (use leftovers from your favorite spaghetti dinner!)
- sliced black olives sliced mushrooms, sliced bell peppers or any favorite traditional pizza toppings
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Ricotta, 1 cup shredded Mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, basil and Italian seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup Mozzarella, 2 TBLS grated Parmesan and 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of sourdough. Working buttered side down, set each bread slice on it's own piece of wax paper that is just about double the size of your bread. This will make it easier to flip and to clean up later! Spread 1 - 2 TBLS marinara sauce over three of the slices of bread. Divide the ricotta cheese/Italian seasoning mixture equally across the three slices of bread with the marinara. Layer pepperoni slices over the cheese and add any additional toppings you wish. Place remaining three pieces of bread on top of the pepperoni - buttered side out. Take the shredded mozzarella/parmesan mixture and sprinkle over the top of each slice of the buttered bread. (Note: you're only doing the top half of the sandwiches right now! We'll get to the bottoms in a minute.) Press the cheese gently into the butter so it sticks.
- Spray a flat pan or large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place it over medium flame. Use the wax paper to help you grab the sandwich and carefully flip it over on to your skillet with the butter/cheese side down. Working quickly, add a bit more butter to the side of the sandwich that is facing up, and add the remaining cheese mixture to the outside. Again, pressing carefully to get the cheese to stick to the butter. Some of the cheese will fall off and that's ok! Just watch the cheese carefully so it doesn't begin to burn before your sandwich is done cooking. Cook the sandwiches for about 3 minutes per side, or until they are a light golden brown. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with remaining marinara sauce for dipping!
So pull up a chair and grab a plate. Omie is making Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches while we wait for Baby J. If you’re looking for more great grilled cheese sandwich recipes, check out these offerings from my friends Natalie, Sue, Mimi and our Inland Empire Food Bloggers Group! And Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
Share your favorite grilled cheese sandwiches with us on Instagram using the hashtag #GrilledCheeseIEFB We’d love to see your creations!