Years ago I saw a picture of Sea Glass Jello (some folks call it “broken glass” or “stained glass” Jello) and I’ve wanted to try it ever since! We’re talking way before I ever started blogging. That’s how long it’s been! It’s such a fun project. I’m not sure why I never tried it, but it’s lingered in the back of my head until now!Isn’t it pretty?
You can choose any colors, but my Sea Glass Jello is red and blue for two reasons. One: Team USA is playing in the World Cup and Two: the Fourth of July is next week! Obviously I am feeling very patriotic.
Maybe too patriotic? ;-)
While these colors are beautiful, you can customize this dessert for almost any holiday, sporting event, graduation, family celebration, whatever! Just pick your favorite colors and go crazy! Not only is it pretty to look at, it’s easy to make!
Simply take two (three or even four!) 3 oz boxes of Jello and mix them separately with 1 cup each boiling water. Stir until the Jello is dissolved and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, dice up those beautiful colored pieces of Jello and toss them all in a lightly sprayed 9 x 13 pan. You can decide how big or small you want your Sea Glass Jello pieces to be, but I’d recommend about ½ inch squares.
Then, in a separate bowl, you’re going to add cold water and 2 envelopes of plain gelatin. Stir that up and add boiling water to the mix. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. After that, gently stir in a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk and let the whole thing cool to almost room temperature. That’s a whole lot of stirring, but it will be worth it!
When the sweetened milk mixture is cool, gently pour it over your colored cubes of Jello and refrigerate for at least six hours, or even overnight again!
You can cut your Sea Glass Jello into big cubes for hand-held snacks. You can use cookie cutters to make them into cute shapes. (See the USA Jello above! ;-) ) Or you can dice them into smaller cubes and serve them in fancy glasses for an extra-special treat!
I don’t think Sea Glass Jello ever helped a team win a game (Go USA!) but I know it will be a big hit at any occasion you attend! When you make it, be sure to snap a picture and share it with me. I’d love to see what colors you choose!
- In separate containers, mix each jello package with 1 cup boiling water.
- Stir the Jell-O until it is completely dissolved.
- Cover and refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- Once your Jell-O is firm, cut it into small squares (about ½ inch size).
- Toss all the colors together in a lightly sprayed (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 in pan. Mix them up a bit so the colors are evenly distributed.
- In a large bowl, add ½ cup cold water. Sprinkle both envelopes of unflavored gelatin over the cold water and stir.
- Add 1 ½ cups boiling water to the bowl and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the bowl and stir well. Allow mixture to cool to nearly room temperature.
- Pour the milk mixture over the colored cubes of Jell-O so it covers everything. It’s ok if there are little colored pieces sticking up through the white.
- Cover and refrigerate at least six hours or overnight.
- Cut the Jell-O into squares (or cut with cookie cutters) and serve!