There are Girl Scout Cookies in my house, y’all. Girl. Scout. Cookies! It’s the happiest time of the year! Between you and I, there may be a slight obsession happening here with these Lemony Savannah Smiles Cookies. I’ve gone from making Savannah Smiles Pancakes, to this Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Pie with a Samoa/Trefoil Crust, topped with Savannah Smiles Cookie Crumbs. It’s a trifecta of cookie goodness!
Then again, the obsession might be with the food processor and whirling all the cookies around in it to use in different recipes! Either way, it’s meant a lot of delicious things are being gifted to my “Please take this out of my kitchen and eat it!” circle of friends. It’s good to have friends!
It’s especially good to have friends who like ice cream! This Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Pie satisfies all my desires for a cool, citrus flavored dessert! Just like Girl Scout Cookies, Meyer Lemons only happen once a year and you have to use them while you have them! Fresh is always best! Using Lemon Olive Oil and Lemon Zest, this ice cream screams citrus goodness. When you add a Girl Scout Cookie Crust of Samoa and Trefoils… it’s a home-run dessert!
The two cookies work well together as a crust. Pulsed together in a food processor, the pair create a crumbly, chocolate, caramel and coconut base for the ice-cream. I was very pleasantly surprised at both the taste and texture of the crust. It’s good to have a thicker crust to hold up to the ice-cream and the cookies do that very well! It’s cool and creamy and utilizes those wonderful Girl Scout Cookies in a whole new way!
The extra lemon cookie crumbs and fresh meyer lemon zest on the top really enhance the lemony goodness of this pie! I might just need to get another box or two of Savannah Smiles to make more lemony-delicious creations!
Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Pie with a Girl Scout Cookie Crust
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 100 ml Lemon Flavored Olive Oil
- Zest of three Meyer Lemons divided
- 12 Samoa Girl Scout Cookies
- 6 Trefoil Girl Scout Cookies
- 2 TBLS melted butter
- 8 Savannah Smiles Girl Scout Cookies
- For the Crust:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine Samoa Girl Scout Cookies and Trefoil Cookies. Pulse until cookies resemble sand.
- Remove cookie crumbs to a medium bowl and stir in enough melted butter to form a shaggy mix.
- Press cookie/butter mixture into the bottom of a 8" pie pan, creating a crust across the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan.
- Set aside.
- Clean the bowl of the food processor and pulse the Savannah Smiles Girl Scout Cookies. Place the lemony crumbs in a small bowl and set aside to use as topping for the pie.
- For the Ice Cream:
- Place the milk, heavy cream and zest from two of the lemons into a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Add the oil and whisk thoroughly. Temper the warm cream mixture into the egg mixture by whisking in small amounts, approximately 1 tablespoon at a time, until about a 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder of the cream and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a container and place in the refrigerator uncovered. Allow to sit uncovered until it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid. Cover and store for 4 hours, up to overnight, or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions, approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
- Pour ice cream mixture over cookie crust and sprinkle Savannah Smiles Cookie Crumbs across the top. Place in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours to allow ice cream to harden.
- Remove from the freezer and garnish with remaining lemon zest. Allow pie to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into slices and enjoy!
You already know that Girl Scout Cookies are the ultimate feel-good treat because of what you support when you buy them! The Girl Scout Cookie Program is the largest girl-run business in the world! Girls gain leadership and business entrepreneurial skills by working together to plan and sell cookies. In fact, more than half of women in business are Girl Scout alumnae and say that the Girl Scout Cookie Program was beneficial to the development of their skills today. I believe it! I am one of those women!
Still looking for more of your favorite Girl Scout Cookies? They are on sale in Greater Los Angeles through March 6th, 2016. Get them while they’re still here! (You know they freeze well, right?) To find a cookie sale near you, go to girlscoutcookies.org. Cookies are $5/box.
Follow the Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles on their social media sites: @GirlScoutsLA / facebook.com/GSGLA