What is the first thing you think about when I mention Greece? Do you see the crystal blue waters against the shining white houses in Santorini? Perhaps you have visions of feta cheese, spanakopita and baklava drenched in honey? Or maybe the romantic comedy “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” and huge families with piles of food on the table? My mind goes to Santorini first, then the movie! This is one of my favorite lines:
Maria Portokalos: Ian, are you hungry?
Ian Miller: Uh no, I already ate.
Maria Portokalos: Okay, I make you something.
Italian families do this too. Southern families as well! (I speak from experience!!) It’s tradition for all kinds of families all over the world! Feeding people is something we all have in common. Nothing makes my heart happier than having a group of friends and family around the table, eating, laughing and sharing together. This week our Sunday Supper Family decided to pay tribute to the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding!” and the recently released “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” by putting together a wonderful line up of traditional (and perhaps not so traditional) greek foods. My contribution are these wonderful Spanakopita Bites, done in puff pastry. I think they look like cute little spinach-filled flowers!
The nice thing about this recipe is it makes a LOT! It goes together quickly and poor Ian Miller, hungry or not, would probably help himself to several of them. You know, just to be polite.
Traditionally Spanakopita is made with layers and layers of delicious, flaky, Phyllo dough. I’ve seen versions using the pre-packaged Phyllo cups or even Won Ton Wrappers. I decided to try puff pastry for a slightly different approach. I have to tell you, I’m quite happy with how they turned out. The puff pastry is still flaky and crisp like Phyllo dough, without all the work.
The little Spanakopita pockets open up slightly when they bake and you get a peek inside at the savory spinach, shallot and feta mix just waiting to dance around on your tongue! It’s enough to make you cry “Opa!” Try them yourself and see what you think!
For more Big Fat Greek Wedding inspiration, check out what the Sunday Supper Tastemakers have put together for you this week!
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom, Kalamata Olive and Feta Stuffed Phyllo with Whipped Feta Dip by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades – Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.